Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Malo e lelei

Hello from the Kingdom of Tonga.

I have officially been in Tonga for two full days and, as such, I have already acquired some pertinent information.

[Quick Disclaimer: This is my first attempt at blogging so if you like it thank you for being generous and if you don't I promise it will get better]

1: Men do wear tupenus (skirts) for work so I am wearing a beautiful black skirt as I write this post.

2: 10 year old girls will threaten to hit you with a stick in Tongan if your group of 15 does not walk in a strait line....I am still not sure whether or not she was kidding.

3: Besides that one girl, everyone in Tonga is incredibly nice and welcoming. The people are always smiling, striking up conversations, and constantly waving. It's really exciting to serve in such a friendly culture.

4: The Tongan language has some really fun words to say. Examples: fakamolemole is thank you, falemalolo is the bathroom, faka-Tonga is the "Tongan word", and totoatu is excellent.

5: Tonga is one of only two contries in the world, where you can swim with Humpback whales, which sounds ridiculously cool.

That's it for the fun facts. As for my life, I am already loving Tonga. The people are awesome, the country is literally a tropical paradise, and the Pacific Ocean is everywhere you look.  I am currently learning the language and attending a ton of meetings in Nuku'alofa, the capital city of Tonga, until I leave for my homestay on Ha'asini on saturday.

Hope you all enjoyed my inaugural post. I will try my best to update this regulalry. Toki sio - see you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment