Friday, September 14, 2012

Ha'asini, Pigs, & Fire Dancers

Hello everyone, I have no access to Internet at my home stay so my plan is to post whatever updates I have written when I go into town. The goal is to keep each individual entry relatively short, but post a lot of them for you to read at your leisure.

This post will discuss the basics of my home stay, and the rest will be funny stories, interesting cultural differences, and whatever else pops into my head and might seem interesting.

I have only been at my home stay in Ha’asini for three days but I already love the experience. The main office warned us before we left that many of our families would not be able to speak English, but Faiana speaks English very well and her 18-year-old son, Sione, just spent the past four years living in New Zealand, so communication is not a problem

I live in a house with Faiana and her friend Fusi. Fusi does not speak much English, so I learn a lot just by trying to understand what they are saying to each other. The house is very comfortable with a common area, a kitchen, and my own room. I have 24/7 electricity, but no running water so I use rainwater to brush my teeth and I shower with a bucket, which is not nearly as bad as it sounds. In my backyard there are plenty of dogs, and I share a fence with some beautiful pigs and roosters that don’t know when the sun rises so they are loud all day.

Faiana’s parents live across the street, and Sione lives with them. He speaks perfect English and is 18, so he has been a lot of fun to hangout with. My days are spent in class learning Tongan and various teaching methods, while I spend the rest of my day trying to meet everyone in the village and practice what I learned.

The younger kids are the most fun to play around with due to my limited Tongan. For the first few days I was simply called palangi (white person), but now everywhere I walk I hear calls of “Soni, Soni,” even if I have never met the kid before. I went for a run one of my first days in Ha’asini, and I ran past the school during the lunch break when all the kids in primary school go home for lunch. The moment they saw me, about 40 kids chased after me and ran the last quarter-mile with me to my home stay. It was kind of like my Tom Hanks in Forest Gump moment, and it will apparently happen to me for the remainder of my time in Tonga according to other volunteers.

Since you were nice enough to read this far, I have an update that is a little more interesting. Last night, I went to a local resort with Sione and one of his friends. Every Wednesday and Friday, the resort has a buffet and a show. Not even counting the rest of the food, they roast an entire pig, put an apple in its mouth, and cut the meat for you right off the bone. Imagine Thanksgiving, accept a larger animal, an open fire instead of an oven, spittle rather than a tray, and a massive pig like the kind you see every 10 minutes in Tonga versus a turkey, and than you get the idea. For the show, the final act was Tongan fire dancers, which are basically Tongans who juggle with sticks on fire in traditional Tongan warrior garb. It was awesome and I have some pictures below.


Cutting up the puaka (pig)




Tongan Fire Dancers




That is it for the nuts and bolts of my home stay details. I hope I didn’t bore you, as this post was more to update the family with my life, but I promise the next post will be more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment