Thursday, July 24, 2014

Camp Grow & Glow 2014

Last year I asked my friends and family to donate to a leadership camp for young Tongan men and women. I was completely blown away by everyone’s generosity as we raised all of the money we needed within a week. I was humbled by peoples’ decision to donate to a cause that I was running and was so passionate about, and I vowed to honor their generosity by ensuring that Camp Grow and Glow provided a transformative experience for our campers. I truly believe that the camp accomplished that goal last year and I hope to do so again this year. I posted what follows below last year and I would like the repost it now:

There is a link on the Peace Corps website where you can donate funds to the project and read a description about the what Camp GLOW (Girls Leading Our World) and GROW (Guys Reshaping Our World) is all about, but before I copy the link and rather than paste the description of the camps onto my blog I will instead explain our goals (I am working with three other volunteers and numerous Tongans) in my own words.

Camp GLOW is an internationally recognized program focusing on women’s empowerment and is run by Peace Corps Volunteers in countries throughout the world. The girls’ camp in Vava’u will cover important issues facing women in Tonga such as sexual health, the rights of women and children, and sexual harassment and domestic abuse. Camp GLOW was brought to Tonga in the past decade, and was successfully run in Vava’u the last few years.  With the main island deciding to cancel Camp GLOW the last two years and with only one female volunteer in charge of CAMP GLOW Vava’u, myself and and another male volunteer offered to help run the female camp.

After corroborating on the curriculum development of the girls camp, the other volunteers and I quickly saw the potential importance of what we were doing and lamented the absence of a boy’s camp. We did a little research to see if Camp GLOW had ever been successfully paired with a boys’ camp, and with the exception of a few small efforts, we were disappointed to see there were no such existing camps for young men. Thus, Camp GROW was born.

This year we are running Camp Glow and Grow from September 22 to the 26th. The 2014 edition will last 5 days instead of 4 and will have twice as many campers, as we hope to spread more information to a greater number of students. The campers all come from the local high schools of Vava’u and have been selected, with help from their teachers, on the merits of their leadership skills and strong academic performance.

Finally, before I post the link to donate, I want to say one thing first. The decision of whether or not to donate to charity or of what charity to choose is an extremely personal one. The last thing I want to do is stand up on a soapbox, preaching to my readers to donate to my charity. Only you can decide if you wish to donate money. There are many charities and organizations in much greater need of funds and with more important aims than my project. There are places where money can be sent to save lives and cure diseases. In all honesty, Camp GLOW and GROW will not do that.

However, if you want to contribute a little money to a project that I am working on and running, would like to donate to Tonga, or wish to give your money knowing that 100% percent of your contribution will go to the project rather than to salaries or lost in bureaucracy, then I can promise GLOW and GROW will accomplish that. While we will not save lives or cure disease, I do strongly believe the project will do some good and have a profound affect upon the lives of these children. We are asking for $4,000 from the US (with the plan of raising the other $1,500 within Tonga) and I will be forever grateful to whoever decides to donate to this cause. Donations are completely anonymous, but if you do wish to let me know that you gave money, please email me so I can keep you updated on the project and know of your generosity.

If you wish to donate, the link to give money is as follows:


Thank you all so much for your support. I cannot truly express into words how much it means to me and how much I appreciate any contribution you may make.


Please enjoy the photos below of last years Camp Glow and Grow taken by the Glow director, Mandy Pederson.









No comments:

Post a Comment