Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Journey to a Private Island


This week I have enjoyed a break from teaching, as all Tongan primary schools took a week off between the end of Term 1 and the beginning of Term 2. With no pressing responsibilities for the week, myself and the other volunteers had to figure out what we would do with our gifted free time. Luckily, I remembered that I live in a tropical paradise and decided to act accordingly.

From Monday through Wednesday, a group of us stayed on a private island owned and operated by an American couple from California. They had owned the island for some time, and started a gorgeous resort about a year ago. I had been out to the island several times, but never spent the night before, and we were graciously allowed to camp out on the beach for a couple of nights.

The two days were typical island leisure. We swam. We played Frisbee. No day was complete without out a game of corn hole and a bottle of beer. The days were absolutely stunning, with these incredible sunsets of orange and yellow jutting out over the horizon of lush island forestry and endless ocean.

The company was special too, as rarely do I get to spend so much time consecutively speaking English with a large group of people. But perhaps the best part – an outdoors shower, cold but not freezing with good pressure, that opened up in into the expanse of the islands and the sea in what can only be described as perfection. In moments like this, when you are struck with such pure beauty literally in front of your face, that you realize how petty the annoyances and vagaries of life truly are. In the face of such a sight, how could I ever complain?

Thanks for reading. I failed to take photos when I was out on the island, but below are few more images of me teaching.











 Sione using pencils with my name on them. These pencils have supplied my school for the past year. Thank you very much for the gift Mary Sue!

No comments:

Post a Comment