Sunday, January 6, 2013

Oh Yeah….I’m in the South Pacific


Living on a tiny island in the South Pacific I am vulnerable to the frequent and sudden changes of weather that occur. It can be sunny one minute, thundering and lightning the next, slightly overcast a moment later, and back to sunny again all in the span of an hour. I mention this only because I was hoping to regale you in this post with my adventure of camping out on an island this past weekend, with pictures to match, but unfortunately the weather made this impossible.

Though as I type this post the weather is sunny and beautiful, it rained so much this morning that the ground is muddy and swamp-like, making camping impossible. You will thus have to make due once again without pictures – Sorry! – and with the less aesthetically pleasing anecdotes below.

But with the dexterity of a pinch hitter called to the plate in a moments notice, I have tried to do my readers justice with this alternate post below. First I have some Tongan news to relate and then I will relay my semi-expat American need for football.

In Tongan news I gave another fakamalo, thank you speech, on Friday. Uhila, the same man who asked me to give a fakamalo when he invited me to his house for a New Years feast last week, convinced me again to give a fakamalo in the hall.

The only difference, however, was instead of giving a fakamalo to 15 people, I had to make a speech to the entire village along with visitors from the main island of Tongatapu, other towns in Vava’u, New Zealand, and Australia. So…about 100 people all together.

To be perfectly honest, if I had to give an off the cuff speech in English in America to my family and friends I would probably be pretty nervous. To give a speech in a foreign language that I barely know to a village I have only lived in for two months was certainly daunting. To make things even more difficult, Tongans are not what you would call tacit listeners. Whenever they hear something they like or agree with, whether it is at the beginning, middle, or end of the sentence, Tongans shout out one of several words – io, yes, malo, thanks, and monu’ia, blessings or praise. My personal favorite, however, is mo’oni, which literally means the truth.

When making a speech in English, a good speaker expects some laughs, if the joke is decent enough, and a smattering of applause at key moments. Imagine giving a speech in America where instead of clapping, people in the audience would shout, “The Truth!,” at random moments. That being said, I luckily saw the fakamalo coming and am well acquainted with the Tongan responses to speeches, so when I rose from my chair and began to speak I at least had some idea of what I wanted to say.

Since I believe some of you might be curious or enjoy knowing what the actual speech looks like in Tongan, here it is:

“Oku ou lea fakamalo. Malo feifekau. Malo Ha’akio. Malo ‘aupito ho’omou tokoni. Malo aupito mau me’akai ifo aupito. Oku ou fiefia ‘aupito ke nofo i Ha’akio. Ko hoku famili palangi oku nofo i Amelika ka oku ou fakakaukau ko hoku famili Tonga oku Ha’akio (this received a sea of mo’onis and maybe a river of malos). Oku ou fiefia ‘aupito ke faiako i GPS Houma. Ko kauleka i Ha’akio oku poto ‘aupito. Fakamolemole. Oku ou lea faka-Tonga kovi aupito ka te u ako. Malo aupito.

This translates too:

I say a speech of thanks. Thank you minister. Thank you Ha’akio. Thank you for your help. Thank you for giving me delicious food. I am very happy to live in Ha’akio. My American family lives in America, but I think my Tongan family is Ha’akio. I am very happy to teach in GPS Houma. The kids in Ha’akio are very smart. Sorry. I speak very bad Tongan but I will study. Thank you very much.

I was happily, and somewhat surprisingly I must admit, able to make this speech with only a few pauses and in a loud, clear voice. The Tongans greatly appreciated my attempt, and rewarded my efforts with a round of applause and several handshakes when I returned to my seat. It was, without a doubt, my single greatest feeling of accomplishment since I arrived in Tonga, as I have yet to start teaching, and I felt fulfilled that I made an attempt that seemed so unfeasible just a few months ago.

In other Tongan news, I attended a dance (or disco as they say in Tonga) on Friday. I do not think I have mentioned how ridiculous dances are in Tonga. With the exception of Tongans between the ages of 15 to 20 who are at the perfect age for embarrassment, everyone dances unabashedly. The kids are ridiculous. Jumping up and down and having the time of their lives. The married women are even more hilarious, as they dance with the same incredible spirit as the kids only with much larger bodies. Even the men get into the fray if they like the particular song.

The best comparison I could make is imagine being at a Bar Mitzvah, where the only music playing is a combination of techno, hip-hop, and island music, and everyone dances (women and children especially) with the same enthusiasm and dance moves of the ten year old younger siblings going crazy in the middle of the dance floor. To put it in perspective, and this should be a great image for those of you who have seen my horrible dancing, I am considered a good dancer in Tonga – yes, I know, I was shocked too.

It was ridiculous and a lot of fun. I couldn’t stop laughing with the Tongans and dancing with the kids. I am also pretty sure now that my ten year old neighbor has a crush on me as she told I looked very handsome and quickly interceded whenever a small child, be it male or female, tried to pull me from my chair to dance. As you can see, discos in Tonga are certainly an interesting experience.

Now in semi-American expat news, I am uploading this post from a restaurant in town while I am watching the Colts play the Ravens, and later the Seahawks play the Redskins. I walked into town early (arriving here at 7 a.m.) to watch the playoffs as I sadly learned that the Super Bowl is scheduled on my very first day of school, so seeing the game is unfortunately out of the question, and I had to watch at least one playoff game while I was here.

 As these are only the second and third nfl games I have been able to watch this year – the other game unfortunately being the Chiefs vs. the Chargers, which every nfl fan knows, watching either of those teams alone this year, let alone them facing off against each other, is a punishment you would not wish on your worst enemy – I am extremely happy to partake in an entertainment that filled up so much of my pre-Tonga life.

As always, thank you for reading. I will do my best to actually put up some photos with me in them in the near future. Next week all of the volunteers are flying to the main island of Tongatapu for a week of extra training before school starts, and I will try to capture some of the Group 77 touching reunion moments and have then in my next post. Have a great week!


The sunset in Vava'u


The view from my bike ride through the Western side of the island

No comments:

Post a Comment