Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sharing is Caring


The concept of private property is interesting in Tonga. Tongans own their own land, and many Tongans possess enough acreage to have farms and have all the members of their family live in one compound. The concept of private property is well understood. That is his land. That is her pig. That is their house, etc.

Yet, at the same time, private property is flexible in Tonga. My neighbors have chickens but they are always in my yard. No problem in Tonga, as I still know they’re my neighbor’s chickens and I won’t touch them. My cousin borrowed my bowl and never gave it back. That’s ok, I never gave back the plate I took from my friend two months ago, and on it goes. One’s personal property in Tonga is also communal.

The different values of private property, I believe, stem from the traditional role and use of the land in regards to the king, the nobles, and the peasants. Though I do not know everything concerning this matter, the Tongan people, while controlling the land, understand that they are more in fact stewards of the nobles’ and the king’s land rather than owners in their own right. Tongans are in fact leasing the land from the nobles, and the taxes they pay on the land are more like rent than property taxes. Further, Tongans are not allowed to sell their land since they are leasing it, and land is passed down through the oldest son. Tongans therefore operate the land under the structure of tenant famers, though in reality their private property seems and exists like any property in the US.

I do not know if this is why Tongans’ view personal property as communal, but I think it has something to do with it. Before going into further detail, I want to mention an allegory that one of the volunteers who has served in Tonga for the past two years shared with me regarding Tongans’ view of property that I think explains it well.

I have a water bottle sitting on the table. I am not thirsty, so my water bottle is just sitting on the table, slowly evaporating away. In America, no one would think of touching that bottle. People know that that is my bottle and that even if they are thirsty, they would not touch it without my consent.

In Tonga, that doesn’t make any sense. Tongans think to themselves, “Why let that water go to waste?” So, if no one is drinking the water, they will take the bottle of water for themselves, regardless of who actually owns it. The person who took the bottle had his thirst quenched, and the person who owns the bottle doesn’t care because he would have done the same thing in the other person’s shoes and is happy his friend is satiated.  In America, the person whose bottle it was would be very upset, but that is not the case in Tonga.

This may sounds noble and very communal, which in some ways it is, but in practice and having grown up in and liking our system of private property, it can be very annoying as well. In Tonga there is no such thing as borrowing, yet if someone asks for something it is rude to say no. If someone asks to use your plate, there is a chance you may get it back. Or, they may also lend that plate to someone else or just keep it forever, and you will never see it again.

In a more personal example, when I drink Kava I leave my sandals by the door so as not to bring in mud and be culturally respective. However, when I looked back one time my sandals were missing. After fretting for 20 minutes, a man brought back my sandals, as he just needed to walk to the store and his sandals were farther away than mine. He knew they were not his sandals but that doesn’t matter in Tonga. They were there and, in that moment, he needed them more than me. I have since learned to keep everything as close to me as possible to ensure nothing is permanently “borrowed.”

Overall, the concept of private property and borrowing is not black and white in Tonga. Tongans are an extremely generous people, and they are willing to give you anything you ask for. At training, they warned us not to tell someone you like their shirt because they will then literally take off their shirt and give it to you. They know you like it, so why not? It is incredibly rewarding to work in a community and culture that is so generous and values friendship, family, and community above everything else.

On the other hand, I like my stuff. I do not want to lose my ipod or my sandals, and it is tough to say no without being rude. Yet, at the same time, this is the beauty of working for the Peace Corps in any country. Your job is to integrate – in my life that means wearing a tupenu, a ta’ovala at work, doing nothing on Sundays, and much more – but you are also supposed to share American culture as well.

Thus, the process of giving, sharing, and private property is a blend of cultures for me in Tonga, and one that I am still trying to learn my way through. It is awesome and annoying, cool and surprising at times, but these are the idiosyncrasies that make my life interesting here in Tonga.



The Tongans protecting themselves from the sun (From Left - my host mom Faiana, Peter's sister Baby, Jeff's sister/mom Vika on the bottom right, and Peter's mom Mehi on the top right)


Me and Baby (real name Margaret) at the beach and enjoying a coconut



at the blowholes in Houma (it is hard to tell but the ocean water hits the rock walls and shoots into the air out of wholes like geysers - it is awesome)




me and Lose (the head of our language training)

No comments:

Post a Comment